Sharmini Mahadevan is a partner with the firm. She has been involved with a wide range of proceedings at various levels of the land use approvals process, including official plan and rezoning approvals, subdivision approvals, severance approvals, minor variance approvals and section 43 review applications. Some of these proceedings have been controversial and adversarial and have involved a final disposition by the the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board) after a hearing. Sharmini is also experienced in representing clients on smaller, less complex applications and development projects.
On a day to day basis Sharmini provides strategic advice, prepares and submits applications, conducts legal research, liaises with consultants and municipal staff, assists with and makes representations before municipal committees and councils, and assists with settlements with municipalities and other interested parties.
Before settling on her present area of specialization, Sharmini had a number of years of experience in different areas of law in Sri Lanka, Australia, U.S. and Canada.
- As counsel for public sector and municipal clients, Sharmini has provided advice regarding municipal financing matters and the disposal of property.
- As counsel for a large retail commercial developer, Sharmini has worked with interdisciplinary teams to successfully obtain approvals for a number of projects in Ontario.
- As counsel for individual landowners and developers, Sharmini has achieved cost effective results at various levels of the land use approvals process.
- Sharmini has acted for individual homeowners, in support of and in opposition to proposed residential development projects.
- As counsel for commercial developers, Sharmini has successfully negotiated settlements relating to development charges.
- Sharmini has successfully challenged an area-specific development charges by-law on the basis that the charges imposed in the by-law were local services and not eligible for development charges.