The Ontario Ministry of Infrastructure has released draft preliminary performance indicators to assess the implementation of the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2006. The Ministry of Infrastructure will be holding a series of workshops with interested stakeholders. The Ministry is seeking feedback on the draft performance indicators until 30 April, 2014.
Twelve performance indicators are proposed, organized into four key themes:
Image Source: Province of Ontario
Theme: building compact and efficient communities
- Achieving Intensification - The percentage of new residential units constructed within the built-up area of the municipalities in the region.
- Urban Growth Centre Density - The number of people and jobs per hectare within each of the 25 urban growth centres identified in the Growth Plan.
- Major Transit Station Area Density - The number of people and jobs per hectare within major transit station areas.
- Designated Greenfield Area Density - The number of people and jobs per hectare in built portions of the designated greenfield areas and the characteristics of development that has occurred in these areas.
Theme: creating vibrant and complete communities
- Mix of Housing Types - The range and mix of housing types (single-detached dwellings, semi-detached dwellings, row and town houses and apartments) that have been completed each year in upper- and single-tier municipalities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
- Diversity of Land Uses - The diversity of land uses within areas where the Growth Plan directs intensification, including urban growth centres, major transit station areas and the built-up area.
- Community Infrastructure - The percentage of the population in an urban growth centre, major transit station area, and the built-up area within walking distance of a community centre, park and school.
- Street Connectivity - The number of intersections per hectare in urban growth centres, major transit station areas and the built-up area.
Theme: planning and managing growth to support a strong and competitive economy
- Transportation Modal Split - The percentage of trips to work made by car, bike, transit or walking for each Census Division in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
- Commute Time by Mode - Commute time by Census Division in the Greater Golden Horseshoe by mode of transportation, broken into 30 minute intervals.
- Location of Major Office Space - The percentage of major office space that has been developed inside urban growth centres and major transit station areas since 2006.
Theme: protecting, conserving, enhancing and wisely using natural resources.
- Land Consumption: Ratio of percentage change in planned population and employment to percentage change in amount of settlement area.
When the performance indicators are established, they will help inform mandated reviews of the Growth Plan, including the upcoming ten-year review in 2016.
Please see www.placestogrow.ca for more information, including the full report and the detailed technical report.